Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Huger Games-Suzanne Collins


The Hunger Games
Suzanne Collins
Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press (September 14, 2008)
ISBN-13: 978-0439023481

Okay so here is my very delayed review of the Hunger Games, I finished this book almost 2 weeks ago. Bad I know, especially since I am already 3/4ths of the way through the 2nd book and have already pre-ordered the 3rd book. Hopefully that gives you a clue as to how much I love this series thus far. Once again we are delving into another young adult book that resides in my favorite genre, post-apocalyptic, dystopian etc..

So I guess I'll start by giving you my back of the book blurb. In the not to distant future, Katniss (our wonderful heroine) lives in District 12,the area formally known as Appalachia. The whole of what is probably North America divided up into 12 districts all answering to the Capital. So the Capital decides that in order to continue to maintain control of the populous, they have installed severe rules with even more severe punishments, and also the Hunger Games. Where each district must offer up 2 tributes through a lottery system and all 24 tributes must battle it out till there is one survivor standing. During the lottery, Katniss' sister is originally picked up and Katniss volunteers to take her place. Katniss and Her Male tribute partner, Peeta, are shipped off to the Capital to endure training and preparations for, and eventually the Hunger Games themselves. This first installment of the series deals with the events of the Hunger Games themselves, with the Capital and the relationship between Katniss and Peeta. With an ending that will leave you going.. OMGWTFBBQ (sue me couldn't resist that one :) )

If you have not guessed it already, I loved this book and devoured it. Yes it is also another young adult reading selection, (I have a tendency to look at the books while I wait for my younger sister to make her selections). This novel does follow in the footsteps of other dystopian literature-1984, A Brave New World, etc-and in her own way Collins does illustrate the problems of our modern society in the behaviors of the Capital residents. From her opinions on a Totalitarian State, The Have's vs Have Not's and society's own grotesque interest in violence for the sake of violence. Collins' style of writing is definitely clear, concise and her descriptions of the world draw you in to the Capital and District 12 as if you had seen them all your life. The love story in the novel is also a cute portion of the story that softens the harshness of the narrative. I would easily recommend and give this book to anyone, it's an enjoyable read. The story is engaging and draws the reader in almost immediately. Truth be told I couldn't put it down and only did when it couldn't be helped, for work and for sleep. So if you're reading this, and this rather biased opinion of mine piques your interest in the book, go order it from amazon, or barnes and noble and read it.. and Love it.

-Geeky Book Girl
read,eat,read,sleep,read, live..

No comments:

Post a Comment