Sunday, January 10, 2010

Genesis by Bernard Beckett


Genesis
Bernard Beckett
  • Hardcover: 150 pages
  • Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; 1 edition (April 20, 2009)
  • ISBN: 978-0547225494
So where do I start in my review in this novel. I came across the title while surfing other personal book review blogs and was intrigued by the readers review of the novel. At 150 pages it was a very quick read and I finished it one day and thoroughly enjoyed the quick read. The novel is considered a Young Adult piece of work but I think even most adults will find the subject matter interesting enough to get sucked into the work to the point you can not and will not want to put it down till you finish it.

A post apocalyptic novel centers that around Anaximander, in the novel she is being examined for her entrance into the prestigious "The Academy" who are the Philosopher Kings who run the Republic. During the examination she is presenting her take on a portion of their history, specifically relating to an Adam Forde and his imprisonment and interaction with an advanced ai android created during their time. During the examination we learn about Anax, the Republic, Adam Forde and his history and Anax's connection to Adam. with a chilling ending that will leave you in shock.

I highly recommend this novel to anyone, regardless of your preference for science fiction. The author has created a world and story that draw you in and keep you spell bound till the very end. There is also an amazing tie in to Plato's Republic and the question of progress and it's costs seems to be an underlying theme as well. I do not believe I can gush more about this book than I have to people I have told about it in person. All I can say is Read it!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment