Sunday, February 14, 2010

Pandemonium-Daryl Gregory

  • Paperback: 304 pages
  • Publisher: Del Rey; 1st Edition/1st Printing edition (August 26, 2008)
  • ISBN-13: 978-0345501165

    Pandemonium by Daryl Gregory is this authors first full length novel.  The novel centers our Del Pierce, who was possessed at the age of 5 by a demon called the "Hellion" who never left his body although had been believed to have been exorcised. Del embarks on a dangerous journey to free himself of this demon. His world is plagued with demon possessions, an appearance by Philip K. Dick. and Jungian Psychology...Metaphysics..and an a conclusion that leaves you hoping for a sequel.

     Where to start the review, I had been contemplating this most of all after I completed the novel last night during work. I didn't have horrible things to say, and I have a huge habit of gushing over the novels that I absolutely love. This falls into the latter category of course.  Gregory's fast paced prose and wonderful story line intrigue the reader almost instantly and lead the reader to devour the novel as quickly as possible because you have to know what happens. The novel reads fast and I definitely wouldn't consider this a "snack" book because as you read this you're left questioning you own ideas of Possession, Psychology, and even Mental Illness. Unlike most possession novels there aren't very overt religious overtones, no "power of Christ compels you", this one centers  a lot around psychological aspects of possession and that's what had sucked me in. Would I recommend this novel to anyone? Hell Yes. It's a quick great sci-fi read that I think most would enjoy.  My only real disappointment with the book was in the format, for those of us who like the format, the publisher only released this in paperback. I would have loved to have it in Hardcover.

-you may now return to your regularly scheduled programming-
GeekybookGirl




No comments:

Post a Comment