Thursday, December 31, 2009

Six Suspects by Swarup-- The Final Review


Six Suspects by Vikas Swarup.


On the Author, Vikas Swarup is the same mind that gave us Slumdog Millionaire originally titled as Q & A. Unfortunately I have not read the book that inspired the movie. Six Suspects is his second novel.

Six Suspects so far is an interesting whodunit. A rather disreputable fellow is murdered and in the beginning we are presented with the six individuals who may or may not have been involved in the murder.

I completed Six Suspects this evening finishing up the last hundred pages I had yet to complete during my downtime at work. I am amazed at Mr. Swarup's ability to weave a story that draws the reader in, much like a black hole. Unlike a black hole the reader returns from the Mumbai created by Swarup feeling as if he or she has emerged from a whole new unexpected world. I guess unexpected for those of us who have never been to India, or those who have never experienced the Socio-political or cultural norms of Indian society.

The six suspects, the characteristics they hold, at times seem a bit cliche, but this aside doesn't take away from the novel. As I have said, the novel is a quick and fast paced read, I would definitely recommend this novel to anyone I know who enjoys to read period. Six Suspects, is a treat for even the most elitist reader, who clings only to "literature".

No comments:

Post a Comment